Fin is French for “end”, as in I’m finally at the end of my margarita stairwell project. I started this project on Sunday, November 6 and finally finished this morning. It’s no wonder it takes me so long to get anything done. Time is usually not on my side. But, I just keep chugging along and, eventually, things do get finished.
If you’ll recall, I started out with this:
World’s worst “before picture”. You can see the white stairwell entrance though the door in the back right of the picture, though. Now it looks like this:
I love the color, although I think the men in the family are less than enamored. N claims that because of his being subjected to such bright colors at an early age, he’s never, ever going to have colored paint on the walls of his house. His house will be all white and black. I don’t really care because every kid is going to be messed-up by his/her parents in one way or another and, if mine is messed-up due to my paint color choices, so be it. Send me the therapy bills. K likes it a lot, so I do have an ally in the house. J likes the color, just not the application. He prefers it in a different format.
I did end-up adding a peacock like the one I found on Etsy, but instead of using a decal, I printed it out, carefully cut-out the peacock and decoupaged it on the wall using a solution of white glue thinned considerably with water. This is a short-term solution, I hope, until I can buy the actual decal. My budget was blown by the time I bought $20 worth of paint due to my extreme spontaneity in starting the project without a real plan, discussed in further detail here.
Here was my original inspiration:
To me it represents the era of my house and invokes the same feeling I get from the vintage James Bond posters in the hallway. But that’s probably just me. Again, not that popular with the boys.
Finally, I added some pictures I found at IKEA, along with some others I had around the house, and created this collage:
First, I created paper templates and laid them out in a pattern I liked on the floor. (The picture below is actually after I hung the pictures because I forgot to take a picture first. Now I’m looking at it and think I like it better than the way I actually hung them. I’m not re-doing it though.)
I taped the templates to the wall, using a measuring tape to make sure my spacing was okay. (I’m a rotten picture hanger, so I take a long time and measure everything twice.) I marked where the nails needed to go on the paper, corresponding to the hangers on the frames, and drove the nails through the paper. I removed the paper and hung the pictures. I used a level to make sure they were hanging straight and applied a piece of double-sided tape to make sure they were stable. It took about an hour, but they are straight and even.
I’m very happy this project is over. I’m ready to move-on to something else. I’m pleased with it, though. I realize it may not be everyone’s taste, but the green definitely makes me smile and provides the “oomph” I was looking for.
Paint – $19.94
Peacock – Free (paper, glue and water)
Pictures – $5.00
Frames – $8.97
3 Silver-tipped lightbulbs – $8.67
Total – $42.58
I guess that’s not too bad for the entire project, but considering my budget was really $0.00, I did go over budget. That was mostly due to my impetuousness and I hope I’ve learned my lesson, young lady.
Thus ends the saga of the margarita stairwell.