I’ve been on a bit of a banner kick lately. I really wanted a nice one last year for Thanksgiving but ended-up throwing this one together in about 15 minutes.
Then I wanted one for our patio, something summery that coordinated with what we already had, so I made this one. It involved sewing and, from a distance, it looks okay. I even had a few compliments.
Last week I made the big mistake of looking at “Halloween Banners” on Etsy. I wanted one really super badly. That’s how badly I wanted one – super. Unfortunately, it’s just not in my budget. It’s not that they’re overpriced. They take a lot of time and materials and Etsy folks are there to make a profit. I would love to be able to pick the one I love the most and order it, but I really can’t. So, once again, I made one. This time, though, I spent three days working on the thing. I wanted to do it nicely because it should be something to keep and reuse, as well as something that I actually want. Using a bunch of different ones for inspiration, I made this one.
I made it with supplies I had on hand, so there was no additional cost. I used three different colors of scrap-book paper, a yardstick (because my kids have lost every single ruler in the house), a fine point Sharpie, a glue stick, a hole punch, some hole reinforcements and a package of black binding tape. The inner white squares are 3X3, the black middle squares are 4X4 and the orange/larger white squares are 5X5. I went into Word on my computer, found a font I liked (Typewriter), held up a piece of copy paper to my computer screen and very lightly traced the letters with pencil because I’m out of printer ink (yeah, I know). I then traced the letters onto the white squares with pencil and inked them in with the Sharpie. After that, I added some spider webs and little spiders, all hand-drawn. I started stacking the squares, gluing between layers as I went. After they dried overnight, I punched two holes in each one to string the binding tape through. I reinforced the holes on the back with the reinforcements for added strength. I then strung the squares on the binding tape, knotting the tape between each letter. Voila!
I’m really pleased with it because, for me, this was a good effort. For one thing, I am not artistic or very creative. I’m a semi-successful copier. I’m okay with that because it’s the truth. I don’t think everyone is wildly creative or artistic. I think Rebecca at Older and Wisor is wildly creative and artistic. I’m not. Which brings me to point two: I don’t really love crafting. In fact, my attention span is rather short and I get bored with things so I hurry to finish with mixed results. Sometimes I do like it and I’ll get some bur up my rear to make something. But mostly I don’t and I’m okay with that, too. If I loved crafting, and stunk at it, that might make me feel bad. Every once in a while is enough and when I try really hard, I can make something decent. (However, after studying the pictures above, my “l’s” look a little indecent, but I assure you they are not.)
Here I tried manipulating the color on this photo in an artistic fashion.
How about this…