I made these last weekend and they were an instant hit. I have no idea of the origin of this recipe but I did tweak the lemon zest amounts a bit. The next time I make them, and there will definitely be a next time, I’m going to make half the amount of glaze. It was a little much for us but for those of you that love icing, etc., use the whole amount list below. I’m sure they’re delicious either way.
LEMON BROWNIES –
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup flour
2 eggs, large
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
For the tart lemon glaze:
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 rounded cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish with butter and set aside.
3. Zest and juice two lemons and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the flour, sugar, salt, and softened butter until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined.
6. Pour it into the flour mixture and beat for 2 mins at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
7. Pour into baking dish and bake for 23-25 mins, should turn golden around the edges.
8. Allow to cool completely before glazing. Do not over bake, or the bars will dry.
9. Filter the powdered sugar and whisk with lemon zest and juice.
10. Spread 1/2 the glaze over the brownies with a rubber spatula and let glaze set.
11. Spread 1/2 the glaze over the bars, and let it set (not harden like most).
12. Cut into bars and serve.
13. Savor and enjoy!
On an entirely different note, I’ve finally finished painting our master bedroom and am currently in the process of tearing-out the carpet. That’s only taken 2 months since I first mentioned it. We figured the long weekend was a good time to knock it out and I just hope we’re not getting in over our heads. The carpet and tacking strips are already up. It’s the room full of 50 year old latex rubber padding stuck to the floor that’s making me nervous.
Have a great weekend!!