RSS Feed

What Were We Thinking??

Last week I painted our bedroom  in anticipation of pulling up our carpet and exposing the hardwoods over Memorial Day weekend. I figured with the nice three-day weekend we would have two full days to remove the carpet, etc. and use the extra day to put everything back. I was dreaming. No, seriously. I was either dreaming or straight-up delusional. I don’t know which. All I know is that we are no further along than we were after removing the carpet. It’s this fifty year-old layer of rubber padding that has melted onto the wood.
DSC02004
DSC02005
We have done copious amounts of research which all boils down to crawling around and scraping this stuff up inch by inch after wetting it section by section.  I guess it’s not fair to say we’ve made no progress at all.  We’ve probably scraped-up 15% of it by now.  I’m going to be sleeping in my living room until Christmas.  One lady wrote in one of the countless forums I visited that she called-in a professional because she was having such a difficult time removing the same type of padding and the professional refused to do it because he said it was too much work and not worth the money.  When I read that I cried a little.  Maybe a lot.  I’ll post some progress pictures when we finally make some headway and give more information on exactly how we’re doing what we’re doing.

I hope you had a way more awesome weekend than we did.  We did manage to use our new grill and hang-out with some friends Sunday night, so all was not lost.

Advertisements

About sugarshellandbutterknife

I am a work-at-home mother of two, daughter K who is 16 and son N who is 12. I live in a 1956 mid-mod ranch with my children and the love of my life, J. We're slowly renovating our house on a budget and love all things DIY. I hope to make this a place where frugal-minded folks like myself can exchange ideas, gain inspiration and find encouragement to tackle whatever life throws our way.

9 responses »

  1. Sounds like something that would have happened to me. 😀 Hang in there. The results will be well worth the blood, sweat, and tears (all of which I am sure will occur, if they already haven’t).

    Reply
    • Hi Deb,

      Thanks for the suggestion. We did, in fact, try a similar product over the weekend but because it’s not an adhesive we’re dealing with, it didn’t really work in the way we’d hoped. It ended-up melting the rubber into a gooey mess that was actually harder to clean-up than in it’s dried state. We gave up on that and went back to our original method with some better tools. We’re actually making some good progress today and I’ll get some pictures up as soon as I can of the method that’s finally working.

      Thanks!!

      Jenny

      Reply
  2. Wow Jenny, it´s terrible! 😦

    But I´m sure that you´ll find soon a right solution for this problem…
    Much encouragement my friend!!

    Laura

    Reply
  3. Pingback: Sanctuary | sugarshellandbutterknife

  4. Pingback: The Floor is Scraped and Getting Sanded Tomorrow! | sugarshellandbutterknife

  5. Pingback: Clean Slate | sugarshellandbutterknife

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: